Monday, December 6, 2010

The Arrival of Miss Bailey

I don't know if there really is any way to put into words the birth of your child. It was an absolutely amazing experience. (One that I don't plan to repeat for at least a few years.)

I don't want to skip any details, as this is pretty much my journal also- so for those with queasy tummies, or anyone who doesn't want to hear about needles, blood, or the word cervix... move to the cute pictures at the bottom!

I suppose I'll start at the beginning. I decided to go in and see a different doctor. She is one that I had seen in the process of being in the hospital the week before, and she's also my good friend's doctor. I totally credit Jenny for Miss Bailey getting here when she did. It was her idea to get the second opinion with Dr. G! THANKS! So at the opinion I gave her the run down of all of my concerns, appointments, etc. They took my blood pressure twice, she met with the maternal fetal medicine doctor to see what he thought about how Miss Bailey would do outside my oven... 10 minutes later I was on my way to labor and delivery!!

I got there around 3:30 on Tuesday afternoon. Matt had to head home and get the bags, then by 5pm I was hooked up to the monitors and the doctor came in and inserted the cervadil. (A medicine that softens the cervix.) I got my last meal for the next 36 hours or so, and we were on our way. We 'slept' all night, basically tried to rest since we knew we were in for the long haul.

They woke me up bright and early (5am!) so I could take a shower before we got the show on the road. At 7am they started the pitocin to make me contract. BRING IT ON!

The contractions started off nice and easy and then got increasingly more and more intense. At 8:30am the doctor came in to break my water and check my progress. I was only a fingertip dialated (yay cervadil for doing nothing! haha) and about 50% effaced. She was basically only able to sweep my membranes as I wasn't dialated much and she had to actually use an instrument to break the amniotic sac. (Ow!) She said it would probably slowly trickle with each contraction. That's exactly what happened, at first... for three contractions I felt the water trickling out. I called the nurse and let her know I may need another "puppy pad" as I liked to call them... a BIG contraction started as soon as she walked in and GUUUSH! My water completely broke! I had no idea there was that much water in there! They had to completely change the bed- AND clean some of it up off of the floor! Whoops... lol.

Breaking my water got things going. The contractions picked up and started coming closer together. They weren't super uncomfortable at this point and I could breathe through them. We just hung out, watched some TV and I played a bit on Facebook. Then the real contractions started.

Around 11 I asked for the epidural. I was nervous about getting it since you have to get a big shot in the back before they insert a tube into the epidural cavity in your spine. The nurse held my shoulders and Matt held my hand. Of course I got a massive contraction right in the middle that I had to sit still through. Youch. Five minutes later I was in HEAVEN! Although I must say- not being able to feel anything below your chest is a weird feeling! I couldn't lift my legs and the nurses had to roll me over haha. But it was sweet relief! I couldn't feel my contractions at all after that. I had no idea I was even having them unless I looked at the monitor.

Flash forward a few hours and the doc came in to check me, only dilated to a 1 and 60% effaced. Poo. It kept going this way for HOURS and HOURS. My labor progressed very slowly.

IN the early evening, Bailey's heart rate started going down with each contraction and I wasn't going potty, so they started worrying about my kidneys. :( Plus, they had me on oxygen to keep Bailey happy.

At this point I started to worry. By 11pm I was still only dilated to a 3 and 80% effaced. I'd been feeling my contractions through the epidural for an hour or two so I was really hoping for more progress. The doctor came in to check on me and let me know that we were nearing the possibility of having a c-section. If I wasn't dilated to at least a 7 or 8 by 8:30am (24 hours from when they broke my water), they would have to take Miss B by emergency C. I was FREAKING out!!

But I knew we had hours and hopefully I'd make some progress. Matt lay down with me in the hospital bed and we read our scriptures and prayed our hearts out. Then we both tried to get some sleep. About a half hour later I started to really feel my contractions. And when I say feel my contractions... SWEET SEA MONKEYS could I feel the contractions. They started to HURT. I called the nurse and she gave me the "boost" button for the epidural. If I was in pain- I could hit the button and it would send an extra boost through the IV. Too bad it didn't really do anything.

I whimpered through the contractions and tried to focus on anything else. I remember the TV being on- but I couldn't tell you what on earth I was watching lol. Now's when the gross/funny part comes in. I swear I felt like I had to poop. Each contraction made it worse and I was really worried that I was going to poop on the bed since I knew there was no way I'd be able to control it. I am a "bit" emotional, so naturally I started to cry at one point. I worried about a c-section, and the pain was pretty horrible, even with the epidural. I cried, I prayed, Matt slept, and I even talked to my mom a bit. Crazy? Maybe... but when you're in that much pain, anything distracting is a good idea.

Finally I couldn't stand it anymore and called the nurse again. (Oh the magic nurse button!) She came in and I told her how bad the contractions were and explained that I was worried she may have to clean up a mess. She promised me that I didn't and said I was probably starting to dilate more and I must be making progress. Then came my favorite question... "What's your pain level? 1-10?" I gave it an eight. I was trying not to sound like a wimp haha. She tried to roll me over in between contractions and I almost cried again. So freaking painful. She asked what my pain level was between contractions and I gave it a 4. She said I shouldn't be feeling any pain in between contractions and finally decided to check me.

Her exact words... "Holy cow! There's no cervix!!" Me... "Um excuse me?" She ran into the hallway and got another nurse to come check. She was right... I was TOTALLY DILATED! I went from a 3 to a 10 in an hour and half!!! No wonder I was in so much freaking pain! Typically once you hit 4 or 5 cm, it starts to go a little faster- about a cm an hour. NOT 7 in 90 minutes!! I couldn't believe it... but it was 12:45 and time to push already! So I woke up Matt, he called the family and we got the show on the road!

I pushed through 2 contractions and the nurse had to go wake up the doctor! A few more contractions and they started to break down the bed. One more contraction and the nurse put the bed back together! She was worried Miss Bailey would just slide out and she didn't want to deliver a baby!! Haha. Doc made it in, (and was amazed since he just checked me barely 2 hours ago) scrubbed up, and got the show on the road! It took all of 2 contractions and she was here!!!

We couldn't believe it!!! They placed her right on my chest and she started to cry. So did Matt and I. He was just staring at her when I noticed the doctor getting ready to cut the cord- I kinda yelled at him haha. Matt wanted to do it! Matt turned towards him really quickly right as he cut it :( :(. We were kinda sad that he didn't get to do it, but things went so fast the doctor didn't ask. On the funny side... blood from the cord shot Matt in the face/neck. So that was kinda funny. (And a little gross.)

And there you have it. Miss Bailey Ann was here. She weighed 6lbs 13oz. From the time I called the nurse at 12:30, it was barely 45 minutes until she was born at 1:17am. It took pushing through only 10 contractions and she was here!

At the risk of sounding predictable... I have to say it was the most amazing thing I have every experienced in my life. I have never felt closer to Heavenly Father than that moment. Holding our sweet baby girl that we created and knowing that 5 minutes before she was with Him, and now she was ours.

She is so beautiful and every time I look at her it's hard not to tear up. Its amazing how much I love her and how well she fits into our family. It feels like she has always been a part of our family. Right now she's snuggled up on my chest while I type and she is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen.

I can't wait to watch her grow up... but I hope it goes by slowly. I am soaking up every minute of her being little and teeny.

Here are some pictures of our beautiful new miracle!










And this is what happens when you are sleep deprived and try to change a diaper!!!
Missing baby feet!!!
Whoops.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats Alts! I am so happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a heads up... it goes by WAY TOO FAST! So enjoy all those cute NB clothes, cuz they won't last long! Snuggling with newborns is so fun and I'll admit that I'm jealous:) Are you getting any rest???

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHat a little cutie pie! Oh my goodness, isn't labor and delivery the biggest rush in all the world? What an amazing experience. I'm SO glad everything went well for you and you didn't have to get a C-section. Your little peanut is GORGEOUS!! Big hugs and congrats from ChemistryMama.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...