Friday, December 18, 2009

Who Knew??

That one little piece of glass could wreak such havoc on my life?! Wednesday night at work, Kathy (the big boss) dropped a big glass vase on tile at the front of Yankee and glass went EVERYWHERE! I offered to help her clean it up, but she wanted to do it. An hour or two later I was fixing a shelf near the 'drop site'. I thought she'd gotten all of the glass. No suck luck :( I went to pick up a candle and got a piece of glass lodged in my right ring finger! Ouch!!! It started bleeding so I went to her an got a band-aid and told her what happened. When I went home, I couldn't get it out to save my life. I got suggestions all day on Thursday... soak it in Epsom salt, put ice on it, dig it out (um, ew)... ouch ouch ouch!! So I soaked it, I used ice... I made the mistake of giving Matt a pair of tweezers and telling him to go at it. OUCH! I know I seem whiny, but I really do have a decent pain tolerance. But every time I tried to dig it out, it went further in. Finally around 8:30 when my finger was starting to swell up and I couldn't really use it... I decided it was time to go to the doctor. I called Yankee first to make sure they were going to pay for it. Yay for worker's comp haha. On to the ER.
I was actually surprised, we left the house at 8:30 and we were home by 10:45. (The hospital's 10 minutes away.) We really made decent time. I got there, checked in and gave them my ridiculously long list of drug allergies. (They had to give me 2 bracelets with my allergies haha.) Then the waiting... we brought books and Matt snuggled with me on the bed haha. The doc finally came in and said "This isn't a hotel guys" lol :). She was really nice. Until she pulled out the mini-forceps! Apparently the idea was to NOT numb me, so that I would be able to tell when the glass was all out. After about 15 minutes of digging, scraping, pulling, prodding, you name it... Matt had a few finger-shaped bruises popping up on his arm, she FINALLY decided to numb me!! Woo Hoo! Who knew that one tiny piece of glass could cause that much freaking pain. She said she wasn't trying to torture me, but I think she was slightly annoyed that she was missing Grey's lol. So they numbed me... it's pretty ironic that the process of numbing hurts so much haha. But after a big needle poke and lots of burning... it was NUMB!!! And it was fantastic!! :) She dug and dug some more then finally decided to make a little cut and get the glass out. (We could have done that 25 minutes before, but whatever.) Glass was gone!!!! Then they soaked my finger in who-knows-what for 10 minutes to prevent infection, lots of neosporin, butterfly bandage and good to go. No stitches, thank goodness!! :) Meanwhile Matt's talking to the Doc's assistant about all of the grisly things they see in the emergency room. Just FYI, while having your finger picked apart and trying not to scream... I don't want to hear about some guy who cut his nose off with chainsaw. Barf.
Anyway... a little over 2 hours later, my hand was free of foreign objects and we were good to go. While I was registering... the nurse mentioned that they 'have the diagnosis of foreign object in everything BUT THE FINGER'. So Matt preceeded to ask about what people have come in with lodged somewhere in their body. I won't go into details, it was gross.
All in all it was a pretty interesting evening haha. Never a dull moment in the Alt household!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...