Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Always An Adventure

Who would have thought that it was possible to marry someone more accident prone than myself? Nope? Me either. I suppose I should have known, since Matt got stitches removed from his hand the day before we met. But I was blissfully unaware.

Flash forward a few years, and I can't even begin to count the number of doctor's appointments, Patient First and ER trips we've logged between the two of us. We are a mess. Remember this? Or this? Or how about this one?

Yep... it's always something!

So apparently when Matt tore cartilage in his knee back in May, it didn't heal completely. So I get a phone call on Monday morning from Matt at work (Everything always seems to happen on a Monday.) that he had hurt his knee again and it felt about 100x worse than the last injury. Oh boy. His dad came and picked him up and his brother took him to the same orthopedic office he went to last time.

Luckily he got to see a different doctor. This one said he should have had the original tear replaced months ago and he wouldn't have had this happen again. -Good to know now!- So big surprise... around 4pm Monday after seeing his MRI results, they schedule him for surgery at 10:30am the NEXT MORNING!!!

At least I didn't have too much time to freak out. I'm such a worry wart. So bright and early Tuesday morning we headed down to the surgery center in Colonial Heights. Poor Matt couldn't eat or drink anything after midnight! And let me tell you, he gets grumpy!!! I would too if I couldn't eat for that long. We had to be there at 8:30 am.

By 9am they took him back and by 9:30 he looked like this!

Ready to get this show on the road! They were pumping him full of IV fluids so as we proceeded to wait forever. I got to follow him as he hobbled to the bathroom about four times. It was pretty cute actually to see his bum flapping in the wind haha. Give it a few months and I probably won't care if my butt is hanging out either. Gotta love the combination of pain and pain meds!
The surgery was supposed to start at 10:30. This was somewhere around noon.

We waited and waited and waited. Lots of time for me to worry and be anxious!
Gotta make sure they opperate on the right leg!!

Finally they took him back around 1:20. At that point we were all starving and grumpy and just ready to get it over with!
And post-surgery! This was after they doped him up. Poor thing had a rough time coming out from under the anesthetic. He teared up a couple of times, and asked out three of the nurses. :) -While I was standing there!- I was really glad I could be back there when he woke up.

It was quite the ordeal. I have to say, it made me pretty happy that the first thing he said (before asking the 60-year-old nurse what she was doing at 5 o'clock), was "I love you and Bailey" to me. What a cutie.
Aaand the end result:

I must say, I'd like to avoid any kind of surgery in the near future. He's recovering great. And the doctor was wonderful and called last night to check on him! Of course our ice-maker breaks right when he's supposed to be icing his knee for 72 hours. So our freezer is full of ice trays! Yay for the Dollar Store. :)
Whew, that's all I can think of right now. I'll spare you the grisly details of the surgery and aftermath. But let me tell you, this mama is exhausted. Lets pray he heals quickly!!!


  1. Poor Matt. I am glad everything went ok and you guys will be in my prayers. I hope he has a speedy recovery. I am a klutz too so don't feel bad :)

  2. so glad surgery went well! :) Poor thing I hope he heals quickly, glad the worst is over! :) love you guys! xoxo


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...